If you have mold growing in your home, it is very important for you to remove it as soon as you can. Mold can make someone ill, especially if that someone is sensitive to mold. There are many things you can use to clean up mold. An ammonia and water chemical solution is one method that has been successful.
If you use ammonia, you should mix it with water in a solution of half ammonia and half water. Ammonia can create a chemical reaction with bleach and other substances, so you should not mix it with any other solvents. Even if you are confident that the ammonia and water mixture will not come in contact with bleach, be sure to ventilate the area well when you are cleaning. The chemical fumes and the mold spores being released in the air could both make you ill.
You can use your water and ammonia mixture on nonporous surfaces. If you attempt to use ammonia to remove mold from porous surfaces, you will remove mold off of the exterior, but the interior of the wood, drywall or other porous surface will still have mold inside. Additionally, the water part of the solution will settle inside the porous surface, encouraging even further mold growth.
To use ammonia to kill mold, mix it in a spray bottle, making a solution that is half water and half clear ammonia. Spray the solution on nonporous surfaces affected by mold. Let the solution settle on the surface for a few hours before wiping the area clean to clear away dead mold spores.
An ammonia and water mixture is just one of several ways you can clean up mold. In addition to cleaning up mold growth, it is vital to eliminate whatever is causing the dampness and moisture that is allowing the mold to flourish. No matter how you choose to destroy mold, do it carefully, and do it soon; mold can make people seriously ill, especially if someone has mold sensitivity. A mold-free environment is a great way to keep your family healthier.